Thursday, December 17, 2009


I have been dying for a White Russian, but the carb content of Kahlua is more than I can handle so I thought I'd try to make my own sugar-free coffee liquor. I think it is pretty good. There is a bit of fake sugar aftertaste to it but it is not pronounced and besides that I'm used to that flavor by now. I hope you enjoy this.
First make cold brewed coffee. I used 12 oz coffee( starbucks italian roast) to 8 cups cold water. Mix let steep over night strain well. this is coffee concentrate.

THEN:
10oz Everclear or 190 proof grain/clear aclohol
12oz cold brewed coffee concentrate
1/2 T no sugar vanilla extract
10 Drop scuralose= approx 1/2 cup Splenda. I use Sweetzfree liquid sucralose.
Mix together.
This makes a 80 proof beverage or 40% alcohol
Regular Kahlua is 40 proof so BE CAREFUL!!!!
you can dilute it down to 40 % by adding water

If you use liquid sucralose the carb count will be almost nothing. If you use splenda I would count it at .5 per 2 oz serving just to be safe, though I think it is lower than that. Most recipes use 1 oz of 40 proof Kahlua.

I made it at 80 proof to keep the preservation issue intact. I was afraid that at 20% alcohol the toddy would go off intime.

I think next time I would try 6 drops sweetener and then let a person sweeten their drink as they wish. You can substitute other sweeteners if you wish, just adjust the amount carefully.

No comments: